Tuesday 30 September 2014

Pursuing Happiness...

What if there is no exit to this endless cycle of birth and death ??
What if realisation is also an illusion??
Maya at her best ??

What if it is just something that is said to give some purpose and meaning to our lives that otherwise seem so pointless mostly ?
Like I perform action in the present with a certain intention and a certain accompanying expectation. No matter what I do this cycle I am unable to escape ...then who's to say that I can escape the biggest cycle of all... Birth and death ?? More importantly why would I want to escape it ? At least not when it's pleasant...maybe when times are rough then I'd be bothered to think about an exit...

Today where I stand in life that exit from suffering is through work...progress...constant evolution... That is where I stand today... But how do I escape this smaller cycle of desire,effort to fulfill it and then expected happiness when it is fulfilled...

I cant seem to control the birth of desires...because they are what give direction to my life in some way... Act as indicators of what I should or should not do...yes to a certain extent I have been able to curb them... But to make them null and reach a desireless state is not a reality for me right now.

Then comes the point of effort...if I have desires that arise in my mind... I will have to put in an effort in order to fulfill them otherwise my mind will be disturbed... And because I have multiple desires I will need multiple efforts to fulfill them...but the embodied energy I possess to undertake action stems from one singular source...so what's important is to realize how much effort to put where...and for how long a time...maybe time can be measured by the time it takes to fulfill the said desire or till the time that desire is replaced by another...

And faith in my efforts will give me the patience to wait for the happiness that will come my way in its own time in its own way...and then humility will help me accept the result...whatever the outcome of my effort be...but I'll still be unhappy if its not in line with my desire right? Then I'll again need to DO something to restore that happiness...move on to a next set of desires ?

Come to think of it...isn't it what we all are doing in life...fulfilling a set of desires...gaining happiness...then again...when we are unhappy we run after fulfilling the next set of desires...in fact rules of society even are programmed in that manner only...we are born...we desire for a childhood then marriage then kids then retirement then death...

 As anyone can see just writing this only again I've created a cycle...I haven't escaped it I have only made the diameter of the circle little smaller...and that also is because my desires have become less in number and my expectations also have simultaneously reduced...so the answer has to be in reducing desire...how does one go about doing that ??

As long as I remain selfish... There is no escaping desire...because as long as I think of myself as one single separate entity from the world around me there will always be something that needs to be acquired from the world. But if I think I am of this world and for it then my desires will reduce because I would have suddenly made myself rich and automatically multiplied my possessions. But this is not a practical reality. Someone else's wealth is not mine...someone else's spouse is not mine...but can I belong to everyone ? Can I look upon another as a part of my self ? Now this seems more possible doesn't it ? Because the onus is on me...the choice to belong is mine...a free choice... The choice to give love and acceptance to everyone who comes in contact with me...

 Then if someone hurts me I can easily forgive them...
 If someone lies to me I can try to understand the intention behind that lie...
 If someone walks out on me I can try and understand their reasons for doing so...
 If someone insults me I can understand that they don't probably understand my standpoint...
 If someone punishes me for my wrong I can understand that maybe they need to do that to heal themselves of the hurt I caused...
 And if someone loves me then well I just graciously accept their love and love them back in as many ways as possible...

To give love is a choice... To limit it to only a few or a lot is also a choice...
To give it in parts or as a whole is also a choice... To give love completely at all times independent of what is received in return is also ultimately a choice...

Only it is the toughest choice of them all...Yet it is the one that will give me happiness in the easiest manner...

 Its my choice... To open myself to that happiness... To open up to such a kind of love...

No comments:

Post a Comment